Saturday, May 23, 2020

Unplanned Travel Story

This is about my trip to North India.  It was an ad-hoc decision. I was planning a trip for a long time now. I wanted to be at a place where there could be peace and harmony. I wanted to experience nature's beauty. It all started when I asked my friends to plan a trip for the last 6 months. They ditched me citing personal reasons. I even asked my parents to accompany me, but they had health issues. I wanted to travel and explore the beauty of nature. This is when a few of my office friends encouraged me to travel alone. To go out there and explore the world. I booked my flight at the very last minute at midnight at 12 am, did the packing hastily, and boarded a Delhi flight at 7.30 am early morning. Reached Delhi and I never knew anything about this city. I asked the locals and went to the ISBT bus depot. I went to Chandigarh from there as my cousin stayed there. I rested for a day and then started my journey the very next morning. First I went to Amritsar, then Khajjiar, Chamba and Dharamshala. 

The Golden Temple



The Jallianwala Bagh




The Jallianwala Bagh Martyr's Well




Amritsar is known for its culture and as a spiritual center of Sikhs. You can visit The Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple), it is a spiritual temple for Sikhs. It has the world's largest free kitchen(langar). On an average, it serves food to 75000 devotees. It is a very peaceful and divine place. Jallianwala bagh is right next to the temple. It is converted into a garden and the well has been covered now. The Wagah border is just 32 kms away from the temple. Do visit for the gate closing ceremony. (See Pics below)

Wagah Border

Wagah Border
Talking about the food in these places. Punjabi's really love their food and they are big-time foodie. Please eat from local food joints rather than a restaurant to enjoy the authentic cuisines of Punjab. That is where you will find real Punjabi food. I continued my journey to Himachal Pradesh. Khajjiar, Chamba, and Dharamshala are based out in Himachal Pradesh. These are beautiful hill stations. with a temperature below 10℃. A state where there are hardly any highways, only curvy roads. Beautiful looking waterfalls and mountains covered snow. It will mesmerize you and take you to another world. (See pics below)

Dhauladhar Range

Khajjiar


I headed to Dalhousie which is approximately 6500 feet above sea level. It is spread across 5 hills near the Dhauladhar mountain range. You can visit Khajjiar which is also called mini Switzerland for its alluring nature.
You can visit the Pholan Devi temple. It is surrounded by mountains all around it. It's eternal when you stand up there on the peak of the mountain. From hereon, I headed to Chamba where you see the mesmerizing beauty of Chamba lake which takes you away from the hectic life of cities into a peaceful world. Followed by that is the River Ravi which flows along the way till Chamba. River Ravi is part of the trans-Himalayan Indus river. Once you reach Chamba, there are several temples which one can visit like Laxmi Narayan Temple which is an ancient temple. It is made from stone carving and has unique wooden umbrellas made at the top. You can also visit the Chamunda temple which is located at a height on Shah madar hill. The temple has at least 500 bells hanging around it. From here you can see the entire Chamba and river Ravi. You feel as if you are touching the sky. (See Pics below)
Laxmi Narayan Temple, Chamba

River Ravi, Chamba

Chamunda Temple, Chamba

My next destination was Dharamshala. This is also home to the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan refugees. The major attractions here are McLeodganj, the Tibetan monastery, StJohn church, Naddi lake, Dalai Lama temple, Bhagsunag Temple. The waterfall at Nadi lake is just awesome. There is a bell which is more than 100 years old. When the bells ring it creates a sound which can be heard 18 km away. You can also visit the Guna Devi temple which is 8 km from Naddi lake. It is via Triund trek between the mountain. It takes 3 hours to reach there and approximately 2 hours to come back. Dharamshala was my last destination. (See Pics below)

Mc Leod Ganj, Dharamshala

The Bell, St John Church, Dharamshala

Nadi Lake, Dharamshala

Alas! I ended my solo journey. But what I experienced is that we have so many beautiful places to explore in India which are breathtaking. We just need to explore them. Initially, I was hesitant to travel solo. I thought my friends will think I am mad. But believe me, it was one of the best decisions I have taken in my life. There is absolute fun and nothing else. Explore the world, look at life beyond making money. It is simple and beautiful. Have a cheerful life. Keep smiling!!!

The total expense of my total travel was less than INR 15000/- only. 

Do let me know your feedback about my travel story. Hope you enjoyed reading it!!!

Please also do read about my article:

1. Dharamshala - A heaven on earth

2. Why should you donate blood regularly?


Share on Whatsapp

4 comments:

  1. The Golden Temple is on my list of places to visit.
    Maybe when things clear up a bit and travelling won't be a hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't go through any travelling agency. Hire your own vehicle or local travel would be best. To get the essence of Punjab local travel is the best travel. Hope you enjoy your trip to Amritsar. This is just a suggestion.

      Delete
  2. If am not wrong, there is a Buddhist monastery in Dharmshala. Have you visited? If so, how was that experience sir?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a monastery and I did visit this holy place. It was peaceful and soothing. I noticed one wonderful thing that you can donate even a small biscuit packet to the idol. There is no need to only put money in the donation box.

      Delete